International Network for the Promotion of Art of Speech in Africa, the Caribbean, and the Pacific (RIPAO)
Position: Fundraising and Project Development Coordinator
To implement its financial sustainability strategy and achieve its mission, namely, “to empower and influence the development of public speaking as a vehicle for social, cultural and political transformation”, RIPAO is creating the position of Fundraising and Project Development Coordinator’s. The Fundraising and Project Development Coordinator’s mission is to support the development of program proposals in coordination with teams and in response to funding opportunities; identify funding opportunities, facilitate, and coordinate the internal funding process, including support with writing applications and tenders, producing budgets and engaging with funders; support in managing donor relationships and grant requirements.
Programme development and fundraising
- Develop a three years resource mobilization strategy for the RIPAO from 2022-2025
- Identify and apply calls for projects that are in line with RIPAO’s programs and objectives;
- On-going engagement with programme teams to identify funding needs and future programme plans in response to funding opportunities.
- Support the programme teams in funding programme work, including developing programme design and content, supporting the development of MEL frameworks, and producing budgets.
- Work with programme teams and other colleagues to coordinate high-quality funding proposals, ensuring that donor requirements and guidelines are understood and met.
- Research the priorities of new and existing donors, work with program colleagues to cultivate relationships with donors and keep up to date with funding trends and opportunities from institutions, governments, trusts and foundations.
- Keep leadership team informed about funding opportunities and donor engagement.
- Maintain an accurate database of current and prospective donors, funding applications and their outcomes.
- Support in the development of country-specific funding strategies.
- Manage the reporting process on a portfolio of grants relating to regional programs.
- Manage donor relations for existing and new grants, including negotiating grant contracts as required and ensuring contractual compliance –this involves ensuring relevant teams know about their roles and responsibilities as well as deadlines.
- Support program teams to prepare timely and accurate narrative and financial reports in line with contractual requirements
- Ensure the funding database is kept up to date and all records of contracts and reports are accessible.
- Work closely with the Communications Team to raise the awareness of our work among key donors (and ensure fundraising information is kept up to date on the website).
- Take part in regional team meetings (held on Zoom) at which the Co-ordinator will provide a funding pipeline update.
Technical and functional experience
● At least 4 years of experience in project management, preferably in the fields of humanitarian, civil society and local development;
● Excellent computer skills;
● Sufficient knowledge of the political and economic environment in Africa;
● Ability to work under pressure and to manage politically and culturally sensitive issues;
● Excellent organizational, planning, and analytical skills;
● Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills;
● Languages: Fluency in French is required.
● Fluency in English is mandatory
The required profile
- Be available and able to work remotely.
- Demonstrate experience in facilitating/coaching a public speaking club;
- A Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in the third sector
- Programme development experience
- A proven track record of developing successful programme proposals, including applications to institutional donors, for five to six-figure amounts
- Knowledge of international funding trends and key donor priorities and strategies in Africa
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to plan and work within agreed timeframes
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work well under pressure
- Ability to understand and generate budgets
- Experience in grant management, including producing reports
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff based in different countries and time zones
Benefits of the position
In addition to the salary, the project manager will have privileges and economic income through the training activities that he or she can initiate. Other benefits of the position are:
● A professional RIPAO e-mail address
● Access to the database of African coaches in Oratory Art.
● Access to contacts and networking with the network of public speaking professionals in Africa
● Integration into the RIPAO member network
● International travel opportunities
● Free training for professional development.
● Opportunities to deliver paid training courses
● A certificate of completion
● Referral opportunities during or after the assignment